We are hiring a web developer who can be an integral part of our web development team. As part of the web development team, the person in this role will specialize in frontend design and development.
January Advisors is a data science consulting firm that works with public and nonprofit sector clients. We build web applications that help people use data to clear their criminal record, track evictions, tackle air pollution problems, and much more.
We are fortunate to work on projects at the forefront of policy, data, and technology innovation, and we do it at a local level in cities and towns across the United States.
What you’ll do:
- Develop modern web applications.
- Participate in all aspects of web development including planning, designing, developing, testing, deploying, monitoring, and fixing bugs.
- Write automated tests and implement monitoring strategies to ensure quality and reliability of web applications.
- Contribute to data engineering efforts and ad-hoc technical tasks.
You’re a good fit if you have:
- 2+ years experience building applications using modern frontend frameworks (React or Svelte preferred).
- 1+ years experience building applications using Express.
- Experience deploying with Heroku or AWS.
- Basic understanding of SQL (PostgreSQL preferred).
- Enjoy thinking about the design and usability of applications.
- Ability to write understandable, testable, reliable, and maintainable code.
- Demonstrated ability to pick up new concepts and technical skills quickly.
- Experience working on a cross-functional team.
You’ll really impress us if you have:
- 3+ years experience across a variety of tech stacks, environments, and application types.
- Experience developing systems that scale.
- Experience implementing unit tests and integration tests.
- Experience with noSQL databases.
- Experience in UI/UX or design.
- Experience with graphic design and illustration.
- Experience creating interactive data visualizations.
- Experience working with geospatial data or GIS software/libraries such as Leaflet, Mapbox GL JS, PostGIS, ArcGIS, QGIS.
- Experience working directly with clients on web development projects.
Here’s what you can expect if you join our team:
- $80,000 – $95,000 (salary + bonus)
- Fully remote
- ~35 hour work week
- Paid family leave
- Health, 401k, 3+ weeks PTO, continuing ed budget, and other benefits
- Short team meetings twice daily
- Normal working hours in the US Central Time Zone
- Respect for evenings, weekends, holidays, and vacations
- Opportunities for advancement, skills development, and continued learning
- Meaningful work
We are based in Houston, but this is a remote position.